Friday, March 21, 2014

It's dangerous to go alone...

My husband saw something like this online that was just a board with hooks for the keys... I decided to take it one step farther and make it a "command center." I found a mail sorter on clearance at Target, used black paint to touch up some nicks, printed the images I wanted to use, got my sponge brush and Mod Podge and went to town! 


A note on working with Mod Podge: I applied a thin layer across the entire surface and carefully laid down the images. I let this dry for at least 15 minutes until it felt dry to the touch before I painted another thin layer of Mod Podge over the top to seal it - If you are working with a computer printed image you will want to make sure the ink is completely dry and that first layer of Mod Podge is nice and thin or the ink will smear.

I ended up applying about 3 coats before I was happy with it, but remember to let it dry in between each layer or the paper will get air bubbles and wrinkles. If you do see bubbles start to form, you can go over the bubbles a couple of times with your sponge brush and a little bit of Mod Podge, but don't mess with it too much or you will make it worse. Mine actually had a few bubbles and they went away as it dried. 

*** So what do you think? Are you working on any fun, Geek-tastic projects? ***


2 comments: