Monday, March 24, 2014

The GeekWife's Guide to Dieting

http://bigappledreaming.wordpress.com/2013/04/08/diets-like-clothes-should-be-tailored-to-you-joan-rivers/#more-324
I have been on the “heavy” side for most of my life. I started stress eating in middle school and while I wanted to make a change, I never knew where to start. As this blog clearly shows: I am a geek and a nerd - I would much rather spend my time watching tv, reading, or shooting psychos in Borderlands 2 than exercising. I don’t have the money to spend on expensive weight loss supplements or even a gym membership. I know I'm not alone, so how can couch potatoes like us lose 50 pounds you ask? Through hard work and stubborn determination! If anyone tells you differently they are lying!





Losing weight is hard because as fat people we know what we are missing! Those skinny people who eat healthy all of the time and have never experienced the joy that is eating ice cream right out of the container don’t experience the same temptations we do. Our bodies have grown accustomed to the amount of food we have been eating and so we think we are hungry when we try to go on a diet to decrease that amount.


But GeekWife, aren’t you just making excuses for why you are still fat? Why yes, yes I am, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true! I lost 50 pounds a few years ago while working a job that had me walking about 4-6 miles every day. I cut my calorie intake down and worked out in the evenings for about 30 minutes in my living room while watching TV. It absolutely sucked to pass on that candy bar, but I was determined to lose weight. It took me about 6 months and I was pretty proud of the results, but as soon as I got a desk job my activity level went down and I kept eating the same as I had when I was walking all day. I didn’t need to eat as much, but dang if I wasn’t still hungry! Over the course of a couple years I, like so many others, have gained everything I lost back, and I am starting to get mad at myself. So what now?




I think one of the reasons fat people struggle to lose weight is because we have a defeatist attitude. I failed again! I guess I really am ok being fat so I’m just going to give up and stay fat and happy. I have tried being healthier so many times this year and have failed every single time, but you know what? I keep trying! My secret to dieting: I am going to be stubborn and not give up after I eat ½ a pound of chocolate in 2 days because the next 2 days are a clean slate! I can keep a food journal again and go back to exercising while I watch TV so it doesn’t seem like such a chore. Also, I can about it on my blog so my friends and family can help support me ;)


*** No one has the secret to losing weight, but this is what has worked for me in the past. What about you? Are you a couch potato who is trying to lose weight? What has worked for you? Leave a comment and let’s help each other! ***

2 comments: