Monday, August 25, 2014

Charizard Cosplay: It's the details that make the difference

SLC Comic Con is next week! Fortunately, I'm almost done with my Charizard gijinka cosplay so I had some time this weekend to work on the details:
Shoes - After looking at the whole thing together I decided I didn't like the blue on the shoes so I decided to use basic acrylic paint in Antique Gold to make the shoes match the feel of the rest of the costume.
Taking it to the next level - I got some air dry clay, sculpted claws, sanded them with a nail file, and painted them with a 1:1 mixture of white acrylic paint and modge podge. I glued them to the shoes with super glue and you can kind of see that I went up the side of the claws a little bit to secure them more and to look like cuticles. 
Scale Test - I wanted to treat the pants so they weren't so plain. Even though this is a anthropomorphized Charizard, I want to make sure every element of the costume looks intentional. I'm not just wearing an orange outfit - Every piece is influenced by the dragon subject.  I'm going to do this scale effect on the thighs and calfs so it has a slimming effect as well  as adding cool texture.
Stay tuned for the makeup/hair test and full costume reveal!

2 comments:

  1. Aaagh so excited to see the whole thing! It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited to try it all on together :) I just haven't been able to yet because things have been drying. I'm a little nervous about the makeup test because I worry it is going to take longer than I am planning, but I suppose that is why I need to practice so I can shave off some time before I'm doing it the morning of comic con.

      Delete