Monday, April 7, 2014

Firefly Cosplay: Malcolm Reynold's Boots continued

Hey there friends! 

Last week was a bit crazy, but I finally worked on Mal's boots a bit more and they are almost done! Last time I left off after lining the main body of the boot and we were about ready to sew...

Picture #1 below shows the top piece of the boot. In a perfect world it would have the pleather on both sides, but I am short on time so I just rolled the top hem. 

Picture #2 shows the boot cover after I sewed the top pieces to the body and the right and left sides of the body together. The color of the cover and shoe look a lot different than they do in real life because the pleather of the boot cover seems to reflect the light differently. I turned the flash off for the third image and it gives a better idea of what the two pieces actually look like together. 

Picture #3 you can see that I added a zipper on the inside of the calf like Mal's boots and so the Alpha Geek can actually get the things on! To attach the boot covers to the shoes I had the Alpha Geek actually put them on and then I pulled the front and back edges of the cover down and used fabric glue to secure them. Fabric glue dries pretty quickly so I just held the edges down while it dried. I then had him take the boots off carefully, applied more glue, and used pins to hold everything in place while it dried. The pleather fabric had a bit of stretch so I was able to get the cover to lay pretty nicely. I also added 2 more panels to the front of the shoe since the original Madden shoes used for the show had 5 panels and the ones we got from Ross only had 3. I rolled the curved edge and sewed by hand to get the same raised look of the other panels.

In Pictures #4-5 you can see the trim I added around the seam where the cover meets the shoe. This just covers up any glue that leaked and makes it look more finished. All I did was take about a 1.5 inch by 12 inch strip of the pleather, folded it on itself in thirds lengthwise, and sewed a straight line down the center. I glued the trim on and used pins again to hold it. I left everything to dry overnight and touched up a few places this morning. After work I'll have the Alpha Geek try them on and we'll see how they look with the full costume :)


Side note: In image #4 you can see the light shoelaces peaking out between the zipper. At this point the laces are accessible so the Alpha Geek will still be able to tighten them comfortably. 

*** So, what do you think? Any suggestions? I will try to get pictures 
of the full Mal costume and my Kaylee costume up soon! ***

No comments:

Post a Comment